[feed] Atom [feed] RSS 1.0 [feed] RSS 2.0

Studies on Glucose Uptake in Eat Cells by Extracts of a Potent Anti-Diabetic Plant Material

Ramya, R. (2010) Studies on Glucose Uptake in Eat Cells by Extracts of a Potent Anti-Diabetic Plant Material. [Student Project Report]

[img] PDF
797.pdf
Restricted to Repository staff only

Download (1MB)

Abstract

This Dissertation / Report is the outcome of investigation carried out by the creator(s) / author(s) at the department/division of Central Food Technological Research Institute (CFTRI), Mysore mentioned below in this page.

Item Type: Student Project Report
Additional Information: The objective was to study the glucose uptake in EAT cells by using plant extracts like T cordifolia, which is known for its antidiabetic property. Results indicated that extracts of Tinospora cordifolia stem are rich in polyphenols, the nature of phenolic binding for polysaccharides matters a lot for bioactivity implementation. This may also indicate that number of potential phenolic binding site may be important for binding of phenolics to polysaccharide, and it also exhibit very good antioxidant properties. According to Ayurveda, T cordifolia imparts strength to tissues (balya). The antioxidant effect of methanol and alcohol alcohol extract used in this study was found to be more potent than the other extracts. Phenolic compounds present in different extracts appear to be responsible for antioxidant activity including DPPH, free radical scavenging, metal ion chelating, reducing power ability, FRAP assay, etc, and the significantly higher total polyphenolics can be responsible for better antioxidant properties of extracts. The HPLC profile also showed phenolic acids like catechol, vanillic acid, caffeic acid and epicatechin in different extracts of Tinospora stem, which are well-known antioxidants. Carbohydrate studies of Tinospora stem showed total sugar of 43.9 % and uronic acid of 47.8 %, which together correspond to 91.7%. GLC analysis showed four major peaks among which rhamnose was identified.
Uncontrolled Keywords: T cordifolia;antidiabetic property;Phenolic compounds; Diabetes mellitus
Subjects: 500 Natural Sciences and Mathematics > 10 Plants
600 Technology > 01 Medical sciences > 04 Diabetes Mellitus
Divisions: Dept. of Biochemistry
Depositing User: Food Sci. & Technol. Information Services
Date Deposited: 10 Aug 2010 09:13
Last Modified: 10 Aug 2010 09:13
URI: http://ir.cftri.com/id/eprint/9606

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item