[feed] Atom [feed] RSS 1.0 [feed] RSS 2.0

Some studies in the utilization of jack fruit wastes as a source of pectin

Jain, N. L. and Girdhari, Lal. (1957) Some studies in the utilization of jack fruit wastes as a source of pectin. Indian Journal of Horticulture, 14 (4).

[img] PDF
Indian_Journal_of_Horticulture_1957_14_4_1-10.pdf - Published Version
Restricted to Registered users only

Download (1MB)

Abstract

Jack fruit (Artocarpa8 integrifolia) is abundantly grown in many parts of the country, particulary in the South and is available very cheap during the season. As a result of investigations carried out at the Central Food Teahnological Research Institute, Mysore, the edible portion of the fruit has been successfully processed into high class canned and dried products, nectar, preserves, confections, etc (1,2). The seeds enclosed in the edible bulbs have also been utilized in a number of ways (3). The edible portion (pulp) of the fruit along with the enclosed seeds, however, constitutes only about 55 per cent of the total weight. The rest 45 per cent is practically a waste material. The pericarp portion has been reported to be a fairly rich source of pectin. Large quantities of the inedible portion left over as a waste material, and available free of cost, in the commercial processing of jack fruits, can therefore, be profitably utilized for the production of pectin. For its exploitation in this regard, the data available in literature are, however, rather meagre. The jellying power of the pectin preparation obtained from the pericarp by earlier workers (4) was also rather poor. The present studies were, therefore, undertaken as a part of our investigations on the important indigenous fruits rich in pectin, for their utilization as a source of pectin. These studies aimed mainly at standardization of conditions for the preparation of a high jelly grade pectin from jack fruit wastes, and at obtaining data of commercial importance in this regard.

Item Type: Article
Uncontrolled Keywords: Jack fruit, Artocarpus integrifolia, wastes, pectin
Subjects: 600 Technology > 08 Food technology > 16 Nutritive value > 07 Waste utilization
600 Technology > 08 Food technology > 24 Fruits
Divisions: Fruit and Vegetable Technology
Depositing User: Food Sci. & Technol. Information Services
Date Deposited: 17 Dec 2012 07:08
Last Modified: 17 Dec 2012 07:08
URI: http://ir.cftri.com/id/eprint/5430

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item